Friday, February 17, 2017

Almost Autumn Review...


Everything starts this autumn.

It’s October 1942, in Oslo, Norway. Fifteen-year-old Ilse Stern is waiting to meet boy-next-door Hermann Rod for their first date. She was beginning to think he’d never ask her; she’s had a crush on him for as long as she can remember.

But Hermann won’t be able to make it tonight. What Ilse doesn’t know is that Hermann is secretly working in the Resistance, helping Norwegian Jews flee the country to escape the Nazis. The work is exhausting and unpredictable, full of late nights and code words and lies to Hermann’s parents, to his boss…to Ilse.

And as life under German occupation becomes even more difficult, particularly for Jewish families like the Sterns, the choices made become more important by the hour: To speak up or to look away? To stay or to flee? To act now or wait one more day?
 

~~~~****~~~~****~~~~

REVIEW!!!!

With this book I had a few issues and that made it so I wasn’t a huge fan of the book.  I struggled with the writing style.  I am not a fan of books that are mostly description and not a lot of dialogue like this book.  When a book gets to be too descriptive I tend to skip through and only read the dialogue.  I also wasn’t positive where or when the book took place.  I think it was in Germany but am not positive on that. 
 
I did however think that the characters were well written and unique.  I enjoyed the general story of the book as well. 
 
All in all this book was more of a let down than anything for me.  I would of course still recommend it because each person has a different opinion on a book.  However for me this book would get 3 stars.  It wasn’t awful but it wasn’t great either.  It hit in the middle for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment